We have ask Stefan Ström from Utopia People to answer several question regarding recent launch of new service – UtopiaBook.
- What is Utopia People now and how can UtopiaBook help artist and clients?
Stefan: We have been working as a booking service primarily for the VFX market since 97. In November 2012 we released UtopiaBook, a online booking toolkit for studios. Removing our agency fee and offering our clients direct access to our database. Today we have around 25 clients and are expecting to be 100 clients before the end of the year. UtopiaBook is a great service for freelancers and studios that helps them connect and create jobs. For many freelancers our system also works as a way to find international jobs.
- Who are the biggest clients of Utopia People/UtopiaBook?
S: We are still waiting for the larger international studios to join but today our biggest clients is Rise (Germany) and Ghost (Denmark).
- What is most wanted occupation/profession last few years?
S: Compositors are always in demand, also specialised 3D artists (technical directors etc) are always in demand.
- Can you share with us your highlights regarding Utopia People?
S: We are very proud that we have now released UtopiaBook. It took us 2 years of development and programming to get it up and running. I’m also very proud that we are rapidly growing wthh 250-600 freelancers per month.
- You probably see a lot of CVs and showreels. Can you share some hints with our readers?
S: Keep it short, if possible with a breakdown (could be a PDF). Use Vimeo, would say that 90% of all showreels are hosted there.
- Your background is editing. Do you still have time to do your primary job, or you’re now fully occupied with Utopia Book?
S: Still have some time to do some short TVC gigs. Keeps me sane to actually finish a project in a few days. UtopiaBook will never end developing.
- How do you see VFX industry today?
S: It is growing in many fields and is getiing more international.
- How globalisation influences the VFX artist?
S: A lot of American artists are hurting since jobs are going abroad but this is a natural development. Just as in IT etc. For younger artists this is probably good since its fun moving around the world but as you get older and want to settle down this is a problem of course.
- What is the most important benefit of using Utopia People service for artists?
S: Its free and opens up new opportuinities. We have actually changed peoples lifes.
- Do you meet some of your clients/artists in person?
S: Most of our clients but its impossible to meet all our freelancers.
- Future plans with UtopiaBook?
S: Keep on developing it and short-term goals is to get all the larger studios onboard.
We would like to thank Stefan for his time and we wish him luck on the UtopiaBook.